Monday, April 20, 2015

[worklog] 3D printing a batarang

This week - printing a batarang!

This week I printed a 3D version of the batarang, from an STL file created by japhillips87 (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:471818).  When I first imported the STL file into Slic3r, I noticed there were a few errors along the sharp points of the wings.  Using the NetFabb, I was able to repair the errors in the STL file, then I exported the repaired STL file, and finally imported the repaired STL into Slic3r.

Using my default settings in Slic3r, I was able to generate fairly good gcode and exported that to an SD card.  My SeeMeCNC Orion Delta printer took approximately two hours and six minutes.  Unfortunately during printing, the skirt pulled off of the build plate and the wings curled upwards.  I was able to clean up some of the stray plastic "strings" along the ears, but I still need to work on the wings.

Overall I'm satisfied with the print, the STL file was very well designed and the SeeMeCNC Orion Delta printer took very little time to print.

Print/Slicing settings:
Filament: 1.75mm PLA (Natural color)
Filament Needed: 2834mm
Quality: 0.1mm
Print Speed: 20mm/s
Outer Perimeter Speed: 28mm/s
Infill Speed: 20mm/s
Infill: 100%
Shell Thickness: 0.8mm
Printed on: SeeMeCNC Orion Delta printer

Time lapse video of the entire print:

Please like, subscribe and share the video!
802 Printer

No comments:

Post a Comment